Dread Scott, FF Alumn, at Revolution Books, Manhattan, June 4 In October my performance Dread Scott: Decision premiered at BAM as part of the 30th anniversary Next Wave Festival. I will be discussing this work on Tuesday June 4, 7pm at Revolution Books in NYC. Andy Zee, spokesperson for Revolution Books will discuss the project with me. The performance was a visceral look at American democracy's foundation in slavery. In the artwork, nude Black men were controlled by live German Shepherd dogs while I read the text of the 1857 Supreme Court "Dred Scott decision," which read in part, that Black people were "so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect." The audience was an integral element of the performance and had to walk through the line of Black men to get to a voting booth where they faced an ethical question related to the legacy of slavery. I will show video footage of the performance. I will be joined in conversation by director Mallory Catlett, and performers Lawrence Graham Brown and Roc Belizaire who performed the piece with me. This conversation will be the first of a new Revolution Books series hosted by Andy Zee: "A Culture of Revolt... Revolutionary ArtDiscussions on Creating a Liberating Culture." Suggested donation $5, to support Revolution Books. Tuesday June 4, 7pm Revolution Books 146 W. 26th Street (between 6th & 7th Ave.) New York, NY more info: 212-691-3345 If you are in NYC, I hope to see you at the talk. Best, Dread dreadscott.net
DARK MATTER STUFF
Blogs I Follow
- the Spiritual Path
- Witches Of The Craft®
- Uncanny UK
- the former Nostrovia! Tavern
- Heidekolb's Blog
- the paris apartment
- Ruthless Readings
- Sci Fi Maven
- 1330v: Thoughts of an Eclectic reader
- The Curious People
- The Sage Honey
- Black Feminist Film School
- One thousand princes.
- Southern Vision
- brokenbeautiful press
- DeAnna Claudette's.... Creative Space
- well neh DIDN’T i just post the fuckin TRUTH!
- ONE OF UM SAY- u were right tishie the most powerful people on the planet teemed up to hate on you hard & this was the only way we could talk2u NOW THE LADY IS CRYING & all i can say is WELL WHAT DO YALL WANNA DO IN SANDYTOWN?
- GOOD MORNING PLANET EARTH STILL CAN’T SAY MY NAME- eh? OH WELL blessings
- EVEN IF I TRIED I COULD NEVER FULLY EXPLAIN WHAT THIS NYC TOWN REALLY IZ2ME
- Y’all know WELL
MY ARTIST RESIDENCY WLLL BE DOCUMENTED HERE ALONG WITH THINGS RELEATED TO THE DARK MATTER THINK TANK SCENICVILLE SANDYTOWN & ALL OTHER GREAT IDEAS I COME UP WITH
THE COMMUNITY ARTISTS COLLECTIVE713 523-1616thur-sat 12-5pm
DEAR MENOW DO U UNDERSTAND MY STRANGE JOURNEY? #Scenicville4evah
PRAYER WARRIORS AMONGST US
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.